Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Everything new...

Sometimes I wake up wishing I had just been dreaming... and in all actuality, I'm in my old 1200 square foot rambler with all my old "issues" such as picking up after the dogs or walking into a packed and unorganized garage sans my van because that's what garages are for, right? or wishing that my trim was all finished and the nail holes weren't still waiting to be puttied or even dealing with the annoyance of the 40 year old burn marks on my fantastic 60s era counter top... sometimes I wake up wishing that I could go back in time and not have to learn anything new.

Right now I'm learning how to clean granite counter tops, take out stains from lovely cream colored carpets, look at the FIRST ever oily hand mark on a freshly painted wall (emotionally exhausting for a perfectionist), walk up a flight of stairs only to realize that what you came up for is still sitting on the kitchen counter so I stay just long enough to justify the trek- fold some clothes in the dryer... make a bed... tidy the playroom... use the restroom, etc. I think I've just uncovered the answer as to why my upstairs is often so tidy. Yep, I'm constantly learning new things...

Right now I'm learning that my 3 and a half year old daughter is something to tame and my son of almost 2 years is one of the funniest individuals I've ever met... I'm learning that although I'm currently 9 months pregnant with 2 children I'm already excited to be 9 months pregnant with 3! ... I'm learning that I'm almost 30 and I still feel like I just graduated high school... I'm learning that it hurts to not get second glances from high school boys who drive too fast and are completely unaware of life outside their... bodies. I'm learning that I shouldn't have driven as fast as I did past a Mom and her kids when I was in high school... I'm learning that I'm becoming more and more attracted to my husband and it has less and less to do with his physical good looks and more to do with the fact that we love life in the same way... I'm learning that picking up babysitters makes you feel old and when you're taking her home you want her to think you're really hip and young and just when you feel good you're dropping her off and handing her the money you owe her... I'm learning that all these new things are just part of the adventure of this life and the adventure is well worth it...

I'm learning that I'm being built more and more in the character of God and all the things that mattered in the past are slowing and I'm finding the things that will last...

- clean walls won't last...
- when I'm 40 I can guarantee I'll just be a Mom to some high school boy's friend...
- when my 3 and a half year old is 40 hopefully she'll be less dramatic and have a family of her own to learn from...
- soon my body will go south and Kyle will still think I'm beautiful for reasons that haven't fully developed yet!

... and some day I'll be able to blog until I'm not able to think of anything more to say... but as for right now I need to go tend to my children before they eat through one of my nice new walls in a fit of impatience for my attention.

It feels good to blog again... its "old hat" to me.

No comments: