Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Untouchable Moments

When I say "Untouchable Moments", I really mean it. Have you ever had one of those moments where you wish there was some OTHER form of expression besides what is already available to you as a human being? Maybe it was in a moment of joy, maybe it was in a moment of anger, maybe sadness or depression -- I think the only time that I have been able to try and contemplate a 'moment' like what I'm trying to describe to you is when I've been worried that something has happened to Kyle - something fatal. The gut doesn't know what to do at those moments, does it? There's no sufficient expression of your reaction to the 'moment' at hand.


That happened today - a few times. One of the moments was joy, the other was exhaustion. Yes, both derived from my lovely, yet sometimes high maintenance, ham of a daughter. You know the term, "I just want to eat you up, you're so freakin' adorable!"? I believe that saying came from a moment not unlike the one I'm about to describe to you, but that saying still would not have been sufficient - nor appetizing. So, I blog.

Katie has (at the point of the story I will begin from) unpacked her diaper bag, unzipped her Emergency Kit and extracted everything from a thermometer to an alcohol swab. She has in this process thus far tried to stick the thermometer in her own armpit, clip her own fingernails (which I put a stop to rather abruptly) and medicate her own self by actually walking to the medicine cabinet WITH her medicine dropper and signing PLEASE and EAT. But her favorite item is, and has always been, the bulbous nose de-boogerer -- I don't know what the technical name is, but she loves it! With this in hand, she attempts to put on her own winter hat which lands itself a little too low on her forehead, and backwards none the less. I believe in an effort to keep me laughing she begins chasing the dogs throughout the house screaming and growling, landing on top of them whenever possible, pretending to be asleep on their pillow, stealing their chew toys and throwing them, and last of all, grabbing their tails only to have them dart off so fast that Katie is inevitably thrown face down on the floor in a heap of laughter after attempting to hold on even when the outcome looked bleak. The picture up and to the right was taken once all the drunkeness seemed to be slowing a little...


The other moment - exhaustion. Why does Katie need ME when she's got Geoffrey the Giraffe, Duckie, Avocado (the frog) and her "blankie"? At a moment like that I just stop and stare at her with this look of absolute BLANK on my face... there is no sufficient reaction to how I felt at the moment I snapped this picture of her on the couch after OUR too short of a nap...

I'm sure I will continue to have these kinds of moments - moments when I can't express the gratitude I have for the health and lively spirit of my daughter or the downright exhaustion of being tired, sick, 8 months pregnant, AND trying to parent a somewhat DRAMATIC little girl of 16 months.

No comments: