Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day of the Goats

Upon opening my front door today I witnessed 'pellet-poop' and my concerns went through the roof. My fleeting desire to consider other rental properties was not so fleeting anymore... I wanted OUT. Enough with little yard spiders... enough with the 'new construction' extremely LARGE, HAIRY brown spiders... enough with wasps' nests and spider webs... enough with weeds galore due to the wild flowers growing behind the property... ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH!

But nothing could have prepared me for what was hiding just around the corner of the house.

As I descended my front steps four little goats walked around to greet me... FOUR REALLY CUTE BABY GOATS! I live on a street with your average cookie-cutter newly built homes, yards the size of a postage stamp and minivans to boot. We Moms will PAY for petting zoos! Nobody told me I would be entertaining my children with a petting zoo in the privacy of my own yard FOR FREE. No little van with a trailer hooked up to it screaming 'BRINGING THE ZOO TO YOU' on the side, no 4-H people herding them towards the children, no signs that say 'PLEASE WASH HANDS AS YOU EXIT'. Nope... on this day I was being blessed by the Lord God Almighty with something that I couldn't have paid for had I wanted to. These goats were ours until somebody noticed them gone... so I admit, I ran inside (naively leaving the door open), grabbed my camera and shuttled a goat out of my entryway. I scrambled to get some shots as the kids giggled and screamed...



He's PEEING on my doorstep. The nerve.





Even the builders thought they were undeniably adorable to hang out with.





I can hear William now, 'You. Don't. Poop. On. Someone's. Driveway.'





'FREE' is a relative term...

8 comments:

The Land of the Lamberts said...

Oh, my goodness! Hilarious!!! Wow...lots of droppings, I must say. I love the picture of your son pointing his finger at the goat and giving him an ear-full of correction. Such a delightful story.
thanks for adding a smile to my day.

Holly said...

did you ever figure out where they came from? how funny!

kschei said...

Yes... come to find out our neighbor behind our property owns goats. This day brought so many answers. We've wondered forever where the goat/sheep sounds were coming from.

mommab said...

Hilarious story!!! Wonderful pictures!! Still say you should be a writer!!

Amy Baron said...

Thats awesome! Strangly enough we ran into some goat on a walk last night. They were with their owner though on the sidewalk. She was very hippyish and wants to make goat cheese with me next spring when she will be milking them...cool huh.

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP (OK pun intended)...that is frickin hilarious! Great pics!

April Jones said...

This is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard! Thank you for sharing...and, of course, great photos!! :)

midori said...

Love it! And I thought the same as mommab! Have you thought about being a writer too? ;)