Friday, September 11, 2009

What's the Word on the Street?

Brett Paesel wrote a book called "Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom"...

****

Here, the 46 year-old mother of two tells Polly Vernon about domestic debauchery, drugs and talking dirty with the girls.

Brett Paesel did not mean to write a book that would explode every taboo on modern motherhood. A book that would polarise the breeding faction of the US, where a certain kind of woman embraced it as an inspired, funny, brilliantly rude and long-overdue affirmation; while another kind of woman pilloried it as an inflammatory, gratuitous, irresponsible article of near blasphemy. Paesel, 46, didn't intend to write a book that would inspire Cindy Chupack - legendary executive producer of Sex and the City - to say, 'It's so painfully honest and funny, there should be a two-drink minimum [for readers] ...'; a book, furthermore, that would get banned in Oregon, where it was deemed too sexy. Paesel didn't mean to become a significant voice in what Americans call the Beta Mom Movement, the anti-hot-housing, anti-competitive, haphazard and easy-going school of child-rearing; she did not mean to become a regular on talk shows and the star draw on fashionable reading groups. Brett Paesel didn't mean to write a book at all.

****

Amen. The idea behind having others read what I write is to draw them into the humor and honesty of what it really means to be a Mom these days in relation to what we all talk about while dropping our kids off for preschool. The desire to scream to the world that the first time my husband I had sex in our current home we broke the bed and the books that were used to 'prop it up' are there to this day comes from a soft heart - really it does. I don't mean to be unGodly or compromise my values but gee it'd be nice if the lady next to me coddling her son as he screams on his first day of school knew that she wasn't the only one who enjoys a Cosmo before the US-agreed-upon drinking time of 5:00pm. I want to smile and invite her over for a glass of wine while the kids learn about the weather and play in the sandbox. She may even have to drive afterward, God forbid she's a lightweight. In that case I'll give her a half-glass.

I have been struggling over the past 24 hours due to multiple emails between a friend of mine and myself. She encouraged me in my writing to an extreme that has had more affect on me than I thought it would. I wanted to have sex last night... I had weird dreams... I was sure things had happened when I woke up this morning that haven't actually happened in reality - not sure I even dreamed about them... I've had a supernatural patience with my defiant children this morning as though I'm not really 'present'... I feel as though I'm beginning to see things clearer now although I don't know what to compare that clarity to because I really feel like I've always been 'clear of thought', per se.

I don't know what all this means necessarily (see the clarity is obvious, no?) but the word on the street is that I'll be writing a lot more.

So stay posted if you're not easily offended. If you are, please pray for grace because there just may be a word for you in the midst of my honesty.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

BRING IT ON!! Oh, I think I would also like to see what Mr. Wiggles has been up to? Any photo shoots for him? You should have given him a less dirty name...cause I feel weird even asking what one with such a name has been up to?

If I werent nursing I'd be sipping rum and coke instead of flavored water...

Anonymous said...

WOOT!

kschei said...

the fact that you are not drinking while nursing is ripe with possible entries...

Maggie said...

Is the lunchtime solo cocktail against the rules?...There are so many choices to make and God knows our hearts for Him and our children...Praise God...Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

carrie said...

Amen sista!

Jennifer Haferbecker said...

This ought to be good.

theforbz said...

Can't wait...Looking forward to it!!