Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Katie's Aunt Hannah...



On January 21st, 1993, MY sister Hannah Catherine was born. It was a dream for me as a 14 year old to have a baby sister. I mothered her and sistered her... the "mothering" entailed diaper changes and the quite often babysitting jobs as well as feeding her a bottle and sharing my bedroom with her. The "sistering" entailed things like showing her how to blow her Cheerios through her lips across the dining room table only to erupt into a chorus of laughter, waking her up just because I wanted to hold her and dress her various times a day as if she were a doll. I used to lay her on her tummy as a 3/4 year old, bend her knees so that she was essentially kicking herself in the bottom and then I would wrap the top of her underwear over the top of her sneakers. She would be stuck screaming and rocking on her belly until either Mom came to her rescue or my penalty was such that the better decision was to release my little sister. But down deep as we grew up together... we just understood each other. Even at moments when noone else understood us. WE understood us.

Now, my "little" sister Hannah is 5'9" and 13 years old. She is probably my daughter, Catherine Elizabeth's, favorite person. Hannah understands Katie. Katie knows it. To watch these two interract is like nothing else. Oh wait - that's not true. It's exactly like Hannah and I used to. I am now reaping the rewards and the consequences. Hannah mothers Katie AND Hannah "sisters" Katie.

Today, September 19th, Katie is 2 years old. For her birthday she received, from her Aunt Hannah, dress up clothes.
Included in the outfit was a pink tutu, a pink boa (frilly, sparkly scarf), a fairy hat, a wand, and a pair of pink slippers. Katie could not put the outfit on fast enough! Hannah GOT her!

It was incredible to watch!

Since that moment yesturday when Katie opened her gifts from Aunt Hannah, she has not been without her tutu. We pull it off at diaper changes only to have it right back on. Katie insists on wearing it out and about. To her friend's house, to the park, to the mall, running around outside...


The joy that I have received from this experience the past 36 hours has been so pure and exhilerating. What an awesome parallel to witness... my sister and I then she and my daughter.

Hannah, you are loved. Thank you for being such a phenomenal role model for my daughter now and in the years to come. I love you with all my heart and I hope these pictures will bring you the same pure joy and laughter that I have had - thanks to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista,
Thanks for making me cry!! :)
Your sharing was very, very special for a mom (and grandma) to read.

Anonymous said...

krista,
i love you so much! and you have no idea how good that makes me feel. You made me cry! I love you so much and I can't imgagine not having you as a sister and you having the daughter and son and husband that you do.
Oh and let's not forget the time where you would tell me to curl up into a ball and see who (you or I) could act as the best rock! Oh yah, and let's also not forget that I would think I was being the best rock and finally I would get tired and uncurl from the ball and look up to only see that you had left. And everytime we played "rock" I forgot how you left everytime! But, don't worry I'll teach Katie ALL those games! :)
LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!
your little sis.

Anonymous said...

krista, i am just scrolling through your blog; and i came to this entry. i love you so much and i miss you so much. this made me cry again; i hope to be as loving and as much of a role model to katie as you were to me. love you sister!