Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Becoming a little "man"


After dropping Katie off at pre-school on Monday I had a handful of errands to run. Please remember I have a newly potty trained 25 month old in the car - until then we had had no accidents since the second day of potty training (except nighttime wetness) so I knew my odds of him having a sudden "urge" that couldn't be held was quite low. Needless to say, I LOVE that I have a newly potty trained kid that I can take out in public only 1 week after beginning his training... please read my previous potty training blog if you are wondering what method I used.

*****

Walking into the Mill Creek US post office I knew was a risk seeing as I've never had to use their restroom but I wasn't overly concerned. I walked proudly in - large package in hand and a stack of letters that held family photos I wanted to share with relatives. William held my other hand and Ben was comfortably sleeping in the Baby Bjorn. William brought with him a bouncy ball to keep himself occupied while I stood staring off into space while every once in awhile shifting my gaze from Ben and kissing his sweet face to staring at William and ruffling his hair reminding him gently to tell me if he has to go potty to...

"Mommy. I have to go pot-tee." He said it so matter-of-factly and in such a calm manner that it didn't quite sink in. I stared at him for a moment before repeating what he said. By that time he was already preoccupied running his grimy fingers across the front of the stamp display case and looking down at his feet as he stepped one foot in front of the other... he looked up when he heard me and said "yes" while looking at me expectantly. I wanted to say "Well! What do you WANT ME TO DO?! There's no restroom at the post office! You know that!" but biting my tongue and taking a deep breathe I quickly glanced from one end of the office to the other - nothing. No little black silhouettes of man/women signage, no promising doors that looked like they might lead to "you know where" even though its not meant to be used by the public - nothing. I glanced at the individuals who were glancing at me -- I'm not stupid. I could tell that they were, with all due respect, preying on this poor mother of two small children to be their "pick me up" during the lunchtime hour away from their mundane job. I know they were anxious to see what my course of action would be -- I defied all odds and was able to stay calm. I politely excused myself from the line and made my way outside, across the parking lot and into the van.

Now I know that the entire post office is one large window and I could feel the sympathy stares while I got in the van of all those people with nothing better to do while they stood in line. I left thinking out loud to myself and half instilling confidence in William that we'll "go find a place to go potty" - to my credit I never promised a toilet. We hopped in the van and as I began unplugging Ben from the Bjorn and telling William to jump in his seat I saw it... my Starbucks coffee cup. It was half full with my coffee but my time here at the post office was worth more than $1.50. I opened the door... poured the coffee out and with a deep breath began to explain to my son what was about to happen. He was about to become a little "more of a man". I pulled down his pants while he asked "Mommy what are you doing?" with a curious look on his face. I put the cup up to his little peep and said, "okay honey, go pee." He did. He wanted to do it again. He loved it. Of course he did. I smiled at myself and chuckled as I put the top on. We proudly pulled William's pants up, opened the side van door and backed out of the van. I stepped onto the pavement and held out my hand for William - of which he politely refused because he wanted to get out himself. As I grabbed the coffee cup I paused... I knew the stares were heavier now. Maybe they were all standing at the window making bets on me! Maybe they've gotten to know each other so well by now - coats off, shirts untucked, ties loosened. This had become the highlight of their day! There were probably those that thought I would freak out and they would see flame ignite from the inside of the van... maybe someone thought I would pull out in such a frenzy that I'd hit the Bentley parked across from me... or better yet, the police car! Maybe someone thought I would cry in my front seat without any solution for my little boy and become a victim to the complexities of motherhood. But NO ONE could have placed their money on me giving up my jo for my little boy! No one could have seen that coming. I hadn't!

Again, I walked proudly in - large package sandwiched in between my upper arm and body while I held a stack of letters that held family photos I wanted to share with relatives. I had a pincher grasp on a warm cup o' jo from Starbucks. William held my other hand and Ben was comfortably sleeping in the Baby Bjorn. William brought with him a bouncy ball to keep himself occupied...

I confidently dropped the cup of coffee to the bottom of the trash can with a THUD as people looked on. I smiled and nodded as I stepped back into line.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! This was a great end to my day.

~Lisa said...

I bet Will is now excitedly asking you in embarrasingly public places if he can go potty in your coffee again!! Great story! I'll remember that one!
~Lisa T.

Anonymous said...

i want to watch her suck him