Thursday, December 18, 2008

Berges Family Christmas 2008

There's nothing like being around your own family -- whether good or bad it definitely adds its own unique dimension to all of our lives. In my world, being around my family is a privilege that comes around only twice a year. That is our Berges Family Reunion to the Oregon Coast every summer and our Berges Family Christmas during a weekend in either December or January. David and Les drive over from Yakima (this year with new baby Emma Nicole!), Geoff and Jennifer fly in from Cleveland, OH and we all rendezvous at my parents' home in Kennewick, WA. My younger, but much better, sister still lives with my parents. No, not like "back living with my parents" but instead quite legitimately living with my parents. She's only 15... did I say "only"?! I meant, oh crap! She's 15 and soon to be getting her license! Aaah... the sweet sound of Aunt Hannah comes to nanny for a weekend next summer is drowning the sound of screeching tires and smashed mailboxes... yes, I hear now only children laughing in the distance while I slowly sink into the abyss of a fantastic massage...

Oh, my family. That's right.

We start the week off with nothing but relaxation... everyone but Jen is usually still lounging in sweats and sweatshirts until Mom tells us we're doing something important that demands we look like we took a shower within the last 24 hours. Jen's usually the catalyst for me though -- undoubtedly, she looks adorable (if not hot) in her fantastic jeans, thoughtful layering of tops, flawless make-up, great hair and some adornment of necklaces or earrings. Its at that moment my fuzzy teeth and stretched out yoga pants feel a little more trashy and less relaxed. To her credit, she usually stays in her "lounge wear" until mid-morning... Lesley and I have made an art of lounging all day, I'm afraid. And Hannah's not in the running. She leaves cute in whatever she's wearing at o' dark thirty in the morning when Mom takes her to school. She usually arrives back home sticky and sweaty from practice right about the time I've made room in my appetite for dinner... nope, doesn't ruin my appetite. It actually reminds me of all the nights I did exactly the same thing.

Well, I would continue my ranting about the ins and outs of my family but I'm being summoned by my husband to enjoy some quality time with him... which I'm happy to do. I think I'll pick this up in a day or so and share with you some of the finer points of the Berges home at Christmas time... such as:

Annual Balderdash game with the Luehrs
My Mom's around-the-house plaid shirt (this follows the death of her denim button up shirt)
My Mom's many WONDERFUL - and always much anticipated - list of hors de ouvres
Red wine and Doritos late into the evening
Risk - the board game
Geoff's Buffalo wings... best EVER
... and much much more.

Until then. Mom, Dad, Geoff, Jen, Dave, Les, Emma, Hannah, Kyle, Katie, Will and Ben... I LOVE being with all of you together. You make for wonderful memories. Thank you and I love you.

Merry Christmas!! Its only 7 days away!! I LOVE this time of year.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

The photo is great, and I love hearing about your family :)

Anonymous said...

Ohh, beautiful picture! I miss you guys so much. It was great to see you and your kids at gymnastics. Isn't it weird how you can go without seeing or talking to someone for as long as we did and it doesn't feel like you missed anything? I love it. Tara and I were the same way. Keep warm over there!!

the mind behind said...

Your pictures are really beautiful! And it helps to have such good looking subjects too! I've met both Ben and Will here on your blog (I moved just before Will arrived) and it sure helps having such great photos! Merry Christmas to you all!
Kassia

hollye said...

You guys are PURE BEAUTY!