Saturday, March 11, 2006

Transition...


Just yesturday evening Katie and I took time to simply be together and play. She raced around in her pajamas with footies, freshly bathed and sipping on her milk - all the 'usuals' before she and I retire to the nursery where we rock a little, sing a LOT, and pray a little before putting her down for bed. At this point in my pregnancy with our son I am happy to humor Katie as she entertains me because it usually consists of me being commanded to sit down (an emphatic "dah!" from Katie as she motions for me to sit "down" - hence, the "dah!") wherever it is that she would prefer for me to sit. Yesturday evening it happened to be the rocking chair in the nursery -- ahhh... nothing better... I can do this.

Katie wanted to get into her crib and play so I hopped up from my comfy spot and tossed her in playfully. She proceeded to entertain me with all the 'tricks of the trade' her friend, Riley, had been teaching her this week... jumping like a mad woman on the crib mattress, falling backwards numerous times onto her backside and then laying back only to roll over by kicking her legs up close to her head and rolling herself onto her knees only to do the same thing all over again... and last of all, she was anxious to show me her NEWEST maneuver, climbing out of the crib.

I couldn't believe it.

As she teetered on the crib railing looking at me with a smirk, a laugh, and lastly, a desire for approval and praise, I couldn't hold in my laughter. It was awesome and adorable all at the same time -- and what fun! She was having a blast! And if it was necessary for her to continue sleeping in her crib, I would have needed to surpress my joy in the moment and look the other way to not draw any attention to the behavior. But on the contrary, I laughed, grabbed her before she toppled to her death and exclaimed, "there's no better time than the present for you to start sleeping in your BIG GIRL bed!" She looked at me a bit confused all the while saying with utmost confidence, "yeah!" (She says that a lot to be agreeable - sometimes without any idea of what she is agreeing to...).


I began the transition. Sheets were changed, Geoffrey the Giraffe, Avocado the Frog, Duck-Duck and 'Meow' were moved from the crib to the toddler bed, the fan was moved up high so that she wouldn't be in harms way were she to crawl out and walk around without us knowing, the space heater was moved further from her bedside and all odds and ends were picked up off the floor. We were ready...

We rocked and sang. We summed it all up with a prayer for rest, comfort and protection throughout the night and then she was laid down. She looked around, grabbed Geoffrey the Giraffe and closed her eyes. Done. I walked out and closed the door. As a smile slowly spread across my lips, I walked down the hallway and quickly racked my brain of people I could call to share the exciting news!

2:00AM... "THUD!" Kyle and I awoke suddenly to the sound of Katie hitting the hardwood floor in the next room. It was quickly followed by a sad and confused cry for "Mamaaaa...". As I opened her bedroom door, there she sat. The light from the hallway spilled across the floor to find her sitting erect, hair tossled and alligator tears streaming down her face. It took every ounce of strength I had not to laugh out of pure love - there was no blood and she wasn't even all that upset considering her circumstances! I crouched down, lifted her up, and hugged her. (I don't believe she was even awake at the moment.) I softly laid her back down and pulled her blanket to her chin. She looked at me, turned her head and closed her eyes... peaceful, once again. She slept until the morning.

Katie has now slept 1.5 nights and 1 nap in her BIG GIRL bed. It's so much fun to discover what she is capable of. Next I'll be choking back tears as she holds her baby brother for the first time... oh boy, this is all so awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo- no post for a week!! Does this tell us something?! I'm so excited for you three!!! This little boy has sure wanted your attention for the past month, hasn't he?!!

Thanks for having this blog! It's fun to see what my cuz has been up to!!

Good luck and God bless!
~Lisa

Anonymous said...

I think I should sleep with her just to be sure she is safe, I have a nice new toy she can play with too and she will love when it squirts!