Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Not above much.

That there is a picture of pizza and poop. (right)

I will usually change my sheets about once a week... if that grosses you out than I will refrain from telling you what I put up with during those seven evenings of sleep. I'll just let you guess...

I nurse in bed... my 4 month old throws up after every feeding... sometimes my daughter crawls into my bed during our afternoon nap and brings with her a cup of what was at one time cold milk and her baggy of crackers trailing crumbs throughout the sheets... I sweat from hormones... Kyle sweats because he sleeps for goodness sake... Ben wets THROUGH his pajamas frequently while snoozing in our bed... there's those "dutch oven" moments when William crawls into our bed to say good morning and its not until I lift the sheet up close to my chin, an ammonia smell wafting up from the depths of my bed, and I realize he's peed the his bed during the night.

Just this morning I awoke to William crying in the hallway for me. It was 6:00am and my body hurt. I was sleep walking as I approached him which, to my credit, was probably why I didn't notice how wet he was from having peed himself. I quietly shepherded him back to his bed and crawled with him under his sheets. It was at that moment I realized the severity of the situation at hand. As I laid there in disgust for a few moments feeling the wetness beneath me I tried to justify what I was about to do... but I couldn't.

So, without any excuse or justification, I will say that I closed my eyes in hopes that the smell of urine wouldn't keep me awake.

We awoke and bathed ourselves though! Can't say that happens everyday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I've had a few similar moments... : )

Anonymous said...

There are few things that will get in between a mother and a few minutes more sleep - I too can attest to this. Your honesty is appreciated as I know we all have our "stories" of what we are willing to overlook in order to get that rest our bodies crave :-)

Rachel

Kristen said...

You crack me up and make me feel normal! Blessings and more sleep to you!

Michelle O'Shea said...

Um, as one who owns a bed you've actually slept in, let me add this: if you wait TWO weeks to wash your sheets (and add, say, some dog and cat hair to the aforementioned list), then the sheets actually form a protective crust, preserving them for years. Kind of like Creme Brulee.
Not that I would ever be as gross as you. I'm just saying.