Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I saw Erin Brockovich today.

You know the woman I'm talking about. Or maybe you don't. You don't see them all that often to be honest with you.

As I steadily passed cars while driving in the HOV lane this afternoon I noticed a little Datsun truck in my rear view mirror was gaining on me. I kindly pulled into the fast lane so that s/he could pass me... as she passed, I smiled - with a bit of envy.

Inside the extremely small cab her hair whipped about. The windows were down and her elbow rested on the window so as to catch a little sun. Her 8 year old son sat across the bench from her with a look that said he knew much more about life than any other 8 year old out there... not necessarily bad. Just more. They sped at approximately 75-80 mph, if I were to guess, and they had the world at their fingertips. Swinging from the rear view mirror was a faded "Little Trees" air freshener.

I caught sight of her low cut spaghetti strap tank and her tight shorts... her son was blond and handsome in a young summer boy kind of way.

Oh it was a wonderful moment... one that made my day. I wanted to yell and make sure she knew that she was better than the world gave her credit for. I wanted to go meet her and learn a few things from her as far as life goes. I know she could have taught me a thing or two.

In any case, blessings to the Mom in the little red Datsun truck driving North on I-5 today... you made me smile.

2 comments:

anne said...

Anne Simmons here (formerly Weber)...I haven't see you guys since my days up in Bellingham. I wanted to let you know that I stop by and read your blog every so often. I found it through a few others (I can't recall the path that brought me to you).

You are an incredible writer...I love reading through your posts. Your family is absolutely adorable and it's so fun to see how your lives have changed since I last saw you and Kyle.

Keep up the great work! :)

the mind behind said...

Hi Krista! Thanks for blogging often. It is a nice break in the day.
I passed a woman crouching down to talk to her toddler who had to maneuver to keep from showing too much in her very short skirt. She was talking to her daughter about why she couldn't have something she asked for in the store they had just left. It was nice to see someone taking the time to explaining things to their child even when it wasn't at all convenient. It's nice to see moms in every shape, size and outfit.
Thanks again!