Monday, June 16, 2008

The "Grocery Game" dot com...


For those of you that I haven't spoken to within the last 6 hours, I would like to say, "THE GROCERY GAME IS AMAZING!" If you visit the website, www.grocerygame.com, and choose to spend an hour or so reading through the rules of the game than you will be interested, in the least. But if you take the leap and pay $1 for the 4 week trial than you will most definitely be AMAZED. The results, for me, were unbelievable - 113% savings at Albertsons and about a 94% savings at Safeway! Check it out for yourself when you have a moment.

Summary of The Grocery Game strategy: STOP buying on a "need" basis and begin stockpiling. Create your own "store at home" and buy only when the item is at rock-bottom price. Grocery stores tend to run on a 12-week cycle where pork, for example, is on sale for a week than off sale for the next 12 weeks! Buy as much pork as you would need for 12 weeks when the sale is on then you're not forced to buy the pork at a premium! You'll save so much money buying ALL your groceries (including paper goods and hygiene items) this way.

This is what it takes:

1. Keep all grocery store ads during the week - have a specific place you keep them.
2. Retrieve the Sunday edition (I simply purchased the The Herald at the Mill Creek Albertsons for$ 1.50 this last Sunday but am in the process of subscribing to the Sunday paper for $12.47/3 months)
3. Cut ALL "manufacturers" coupons and store coupons that are appropriate for your family. Don't try to calculate savings at that point, "Teri's List" (you'll understand later) will do it all for you! Just go ahead and cut WHATEVER products are valuable to you. Set them aside. The "cutting" process was accomplished while I sat in front of the TV on Sunday morning with Kyle and the kids... super easy and didn't take more than 15 minutes.
4. Go onto grocerygame.com at 12N or later on Sunday (that's when the official "Teri's List" is posted for that week). Check off products that are ones you use in your house.
5. Print the list so that you can take it with you shopping (it gives you all the coupon details which I found to be VERY helpful as I shopped.)
6. Grab the corresponding coupons to the items you checked from the list and go shopping prior to midnight on Tuesday (when all the sales are reset for the next 7 days)!
***Krista Tip: Do NOT take kids the first time shopping with the list. You'll want to understand and get familiar with what you're doing and I guarantee you'll miss out if you aren't completely focused. After that, its easy. Plus, you'll "trust the list" so kids won't be an issue.***

If you're interested, check it out. I got $209.00 worth of groceries for $93.00 at Albertsons... and I got about $102.00 worth of groceries for $53.00 at Safeway! I cannot tell you how nice it is to know that I can shop at grocery stores that I enjoy (and trust the quality of) whilst saving loads of money!

... then I went and filled the gas tank.

2 comments:

Kristin and Eric Bradford said...

Welcome to the game! I have been doing it for about year now. Two garage racks are full of items we use in the house and for our lunches. Wife thinks I am crazy for stockpiling, but loves it when I show her how much we have saved (BOGO baby!) and she can just go down to the heated garage to refill common items in our household. My crazy problem is saying "that is enough" for any item that I can get for basically free! I mean, really, how many tubes of toothpaste do 2 people really need? I say 10, wife says 2, so I end up getting us 12! Doh!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.