Thursday, June 19, 2008

An ounce of energy buys you lots.

I decided that I was getting exhausted because the kids "needed" me all the time... "mom 'this'" and "mom 'that'"... I was going nuts. I found myself rolling my eyes at my daughter the other day and I got socked in the gut BY THE LORD. And it was a hard 'sock in the gut'.

You know the saying, "if your husband's praising himself too much its because you don't praise him enough"? Well, same goes for kids. If you don't give them the attention they need they'll demand attention from you just to prove a point - without them realizing it. And before you drive yourself nuts... just remember... IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!

You didn't have kids to fulfill your own selfish interests... if so, you're in for real disappointment. NOT because kids don't give you 'joy you've never imagined'! But because kids give you 'joy you've never imagined' in ways that you've never imagined! Its not by giving you the sleep you need or by giving you "alone time" when alone time is much deserved/needed or by being obedient when it would be really great for them to be obedient. No. None of that is sure enough to bet on. So, for better results, expect great moments with your kids. Expect to be exhausted and exhilarated all in a moment.

Today, we made "No Bake Cookies". See recipe below:


No Bake Cookies (allrecipes.com - no bake cookies I)
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.

I needed to find a solution for my "high maintenance children" and I realized that if I took 1 hour and overwhelmed them with attention and praise then they would be satisfied! So much so that they let me blog while they played with their "Colorforms" (that we just received in the mail yesterday! See previous blog about Colorforms.)

So here I am... blogging.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE no bakes! I think of you and Kyle every time I make them. I actually wanted to make them 2 nights ago and forgot. I think tonight is the night. Thanks for the reminder.

You are so right in that the blessings from children rarely come in a form you would expect.

Kristen said...

What a great reminder. We are all here for one reason - to glorify our Lord!

Kristen said...

and to eat no bake cookies....

Geoff/Amy said...

Good post! So occasionally Emily has been saying "mommy I need attention", so then I, of course, wrestle her to the ground tickling her and saying "attention attention attention". We have also started to having "special mommy daughter chats" if I hurt her feelings without realizing it or she is embarrassed by something I said in front of guests to her or about her or something we go sit on the bed and have a chat. Fun times! We got the Color forms, the kids LOVE them. Thanks!