Thursday, October 30, 2008

the Prize

After discussing with you all last night my predicament with the Halloween costume drama, I spoke with Kyle. We were both beginning to weigh the ease and excitement it would bring versus the cost to just go to Costco and pay 19.99 for a Barbie in the Diamond Castle dress... we had just about come to a decision that that's what we would do when I realized I didn't want to. As small as it may seem to the observing eye, I knew that God could - and would - show Himself if I just gave the controls over to him and let him drive the Schei Train on its way to Halloween... of all holidays to give over to Him.

Following Bible Study this morning Katie and I held hands on our way out to the car. It even FELT like Halloween - the leaves were vibrant reds, oranges and yellows and the air was cold and brisk. I smiled to myself as I realized what was about to be revealed to her. She skipped and hopped assuming nothing more (and understandably so) than a wonderful play date with her friend, Ava. She was going to be spending the afternoon there enjoying hours full of laughter and dress up. She couldn't wait! (*Please see picture of she and Ava - usually seen dressed up like this...)

I looked down at her and said, 'so Daddy and I talked last night...' and immediately her big eyes shot up at me with expectation on her face. But it wasn't an expectation that she would get what she wants but instead it was an excitement that there was SOME sort of resolve and she was anxious to hear what it was... she grinned and raised her eyebrows, silently leading me to continue... I do believe she was also holding her breath.

'... well, you and I are going to go pick up Ben at April's. Then we will go to Other Mothers and see if they have a beautiful dress that you'd want to buy and you could wear it for Halloween. IF they don't have something that you like than we will go to Costco and buy the Barbie in the Diamond Castle dress. Oh, and we need to look for Spiderman stuff for William!' Katie had more questions to ask as to how expensive things were at Other Mothers and if Daddy and I had talked about things being expensive and if God said it was okay to buy something expensive... she was very curious. I discussed with her that Daddy and I had talked and told each other that we just want she and William to be excited about the 'pretend' part of Halloween WHATEVER it is they choose to be! She smiled and said 'okay Mom...' as she skipped the rest of the way to the car. I prayed that God would work over the next 45 minutes.

We were not more than 3 minutes out of the parking lot when Katie regurgitated the plan of action back to me so that she could make sure she understood. After a minute or so of looking out the window she looked back at me and caught my eye in the rear view mirror...

"Mom... I don't think I want to be Barbie in the Diamond Castle actually..." Okay... God what are you doing here... "I want to be a ballerina..." that's easy and inexpensive... "Yeah, they have those down-sleeve (long sleeved) ballerina outfits at Other Mothers and there soooo soft and sooo beautiful and I think I can just wear one of those for Halloween..." this is absolutely fantastic... "Mom... could I get one of those things that goes around and goes up and down when I bounce?"

"Oh... a tutu?!"

"Yeah! A tutu..."

"Yes, lets see what they have, ok?!"

"Okay, Mom."

Well, to make a long story short... not only did she find the perfect ballerina outfit (with a tutu attached), she also found real ballerina tights for under her outfit AND Sam had Spiderman gloves that made the "web shooting noise" and a Spiderman mask... she also pulled out size 3T Spiderman pajamas that were perfect for the ensemble.

I spent $20.55 when the original, and not so wonderful, outcome would have been twice that.

God is so good. Even in the small things. Katie learned a valuable lesson that so many children in our culture don't learn anymore -- we are not "entitled" to anything... and yet she got to experience the joy of receiving a gift, that she and I have discussed with great detail is, from God Himself.

No comments: