Thursday, November 27, 2008

Black Friday.

I've never been one to shop on Black Friday. It makes me feel nauseous to be quite honest with you because it seems to me that for the majority it goes something like this:

Thanksgiving Day we are feasting and giving thanks; we are serving those in need and finding ourselves grateful for the abundance that we have; we are teaching our children the art of family and manners at the table and how to not "want" for things.

All the while, unbeknownst to us, the "spirit of Black Friday" is laughing and looking down from upstairs where stashed in your underwear drawer is a tall stack. It will be spent tomorrow morning at the drop of a hat. And from Thanksgiving on, Spirit Black Friday will walk beside you pointing out all the ways to bring someone happiness through material things. Your child wants this and your child loves that. We pride ourselves on the joy we see in their faces as they open their gifts - we fan our egos and create for our children and ourselves a disgustingly materialistic version of Christmas. I'll be the first to say that its tempting.

I have pictured below the gifts we have purchased for our kids this year. Last year we started the tradition of giving each child three presents... we explained to them that Santa Claus brings them each three gifts to symbolize the gold, frankincense and myrrh baby Jesus received from the wise men following his birth. I have included these simply because I'm wanting, for one, to hold myself accountable to all reading this post -- Katie is receiving a sticker book, a wagon (shared with Will & Ben), and a Swedish-style vintage dollhouse (purchased from a consignment store); William is receiving a sticker book, a wagon (shared with Katie and Ben), and a Bozo Bop Bag; Ben is receiving the wagon and possibly a couple balls to chew on - yes, just about the same price as we may have spent on our late dogs, Tucker and Annie. Please close your mouth and think for a moment why I would purchase something for him at 8 months old when I could just as easily wrap up a puzzle piece and he would find joy for hours gnawing on it until his gums bleed!








Ok, so you're thinking that maybe I'm a little arrogant and full of myself. I would argue 'no'. That's not the case. I WOULD say though that I have thought long and hard about what I want our kids to take away from their experiences. Kyle and I expend a lot of energy trying to create a clear course of action as we approach Christ's birth... His life... His death and His resurrection.

Not only do I not want to create in our kids an overexcited chaotic behavior surrounding the holidays where they feel its all about them and the gifts under the tree... I don't want to pick up after all those toys! Not only on Christmas morning but for the remainder of this year and all of the next... until we reach another Christmas season.

Here's to you and finding out what's best for your family...

Cheers.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I think that is great, and I love the idea of three gifts. I think all the things you are striving to teach them will really bless their lives. It will be great if you can instill in them satisfaction with life without needing to fill their lives up with "things". I have to teach myself this lesson all the time.

Anonymous said...

I love how deliberate you are about raising your kids.
Look at this amazing you tube video, its some amazing perspective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU