Friday, November 07, 2008

What the...

Moments have come when a word flies out of either of my toddlers' mouths and I have to make a decision - do I make it an "issue" and say something or do I make it a "non-issue" and let it fly in hopes that the word wasn't much fun to say in the first place...

Just now was an AWESOME moment. Katie was flinging the word "bird-ch" around trying to be silly when it turned into the not so nice word. I let it go for about 30 seconds and couldn't hold myself back any longer when I explained to her with enough alarm that I think it sank in... the non-word that she was saying was actually a bad word and we are not allowed to say it.

Not more than 10 seconds later William was standing atop the rocking chair (totally not allowed!) when he was waving his arms around and saying in a silly voice "is fook a bad word?! We can say 'fook' though Katie! ... 'fook! fook!' which quickly turned into the bad version as well! Again I acted in astonishment and couldn't believe that they had just so happened upon these two non-words of their's within a matter of seconds!

Following our brief but matter-of-fact conversation about both of those words I walked out of their room into the bathroom and Katie yelled after me,

"We can say 'shirt' though, right?! Because its a piece of clothing! Shirt! Shirt! Shirt!"... as she and William chanted every version you can think of whilst playing dress up in their room.

You've got to be joking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Reminds me of the time Ava was running around excitedly telling us she "had a heart on", but heart sounded more like it ended in "d" rather than "t"...

Rachel