Friday, April 24, 2009

Elizabeth

Elizabeth was a rollie pollie that came into our life a short 5 hours ago. She was round, lively, loved to sit on my shoulder as I walked around the house. It was quite adorable when Elizabeth would crawl up my arm - I would giggle and whisper sweet nothings to her like, 'oh you're so silly. Do you like my arm? Yeah? You can crawl on my arm. Are you having fun, Elizabeth?' William loved watching she and I interact and there were moments when I thought just maybe Elizabeth was part human.

It was during our errands this afternoon that Elizabeth's life came to a tragic end. It wouldn't have been so bad had it been quick but her little legs squirmed this way and that as she gasped for air after I drowned her with a water bottle cap full of water. I thought she was thirsty so I dropped a little into the holes my Mom made in the top of Elizabeth's jar. My Mom couldn't understand the sadness on my face until I told her the whole story of what happened - for a "special time" (that's what William and I call it when we get to do something we don't usually get to do) my Mom let me take the lid off the bug jar in the car and hold her to see if she could be revived. She slowed in my hand and eventually took her last breath... I asked permission to throw her out my window and immediately after exclaimed that I hope she'd be happy out there.

Moments later we were at home... Ben stayed in the car while William, my Mom and I searched quickly for another rollie pollie. We found one minutes before we left for school and gathered the perfect furnishings for her home. I took her to school today to share with all the kids for my Share Day...

Her name is Elizabeth 2.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You crack me up. love it.