Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Type A... no B... no A...

Type A individuals can be described as impatient, excessively time-conscious, insecure about their status, highly competitive, hostile and aggressive, and incapable of relaxation. They are often high achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about the smallest of delays. Because of these characteristics, Type A individuals are often described as "stress junkies. Type B individuals, in contrast, are described as patient, relaxed, and easy-going.

It has been told over and over again that I am very "Type A"... and since I have described myself that way for the last few years, I decided it would be wise to research Wikipedia in an effort to better understand some things about myself.

The above italicized paragraph was pulled from Wikipedia. What I found had everything from a definition of the "personality disorder" to the assessment and health complications. I would say that I fall closer to the Type A/B personality, which simply means there is not enough evidence in my behaviors to dub me as either -- meaning that I am 'managing quite well', if you will.

This morning was the first morning I had the privilege of watching a friends' children. I will be watching them twice a week come the beginning of June and I've been so excited. As we prepared to take Kyle and I's friend, Darryl, to the Everett Train Depot today, I gave myself a time at which I would shoot to be out the house by. Now this doesn't mean I look at the clock, see that is is NOW time to 'get out of the house by' and then proceed to have the children wrangled, shoes put on, coats grabbed and in the car... no, that means we are strapped in and in reverse at 9:10am. Darryl did a great job of making that happen as I was in the midst of a phone call at the time... but hours later, when lunch was eaten and school was about to start, I made sure we were wrangled, shoes on, coats grabbed, school bags in hand, strapped in and in reverse by 11:55am - which means kids are wrangled at 11:40am.

Yes, I have it down to a science.

And yes, I love it. It energizes my soul.

The Type B comes in when I receive a phone call at 9:00am (10 minutes before we needed to be in 'reverse'. I pause - Type A - thinking that I shouldn't be held up on the phone whilst trying to get out of the house in 10 minutes BUT I answer - Type B - because its a number I don't recognize and the fear of not knowing who it was would drive me BONKERS - Type A) and am asked if my 'offer still stands' for tomorrow. I excitedly answer that I "would love to have him tomorrow" because I truly would... I feel relaxed about having another 3 year old around tomorrow. Anything that needs to get done can get done with another child around. THAT seems Type B.

What I'm realizing is that my desire to have children around may stem from my Type A personality. Not that I'm Type A as a result of enjoying watching children... but that I enjoy watching others' children as a result of being Type A. It goes both ways because I do have a heart for children... but boy, it makes the world go 'round when I can organize them!

I will make a list so that I can check things off.

I will make a list for what errands I need to run and the 'route' I'll be taking to accomplish all my errands in one outing... (bank, post office, library, redbox, dry cleaning, preschool, home for naps) It speaks to my heart.

I've had 5 children today since 8 o'clock... we have played, taken our friend to the Everett Train Depot, played, cleaned 3 rooms (kids' room, living room, playroom), eaten lunch, taken 2 children to school and have 3 children at home and quiet.

I am Routine Queen to a fault. But oh, its at moments like this that I love my personality disorder.

2 comments:

Holly said...

that is a nice way to describe it (: i believe i live there too. i watch another little boy on mon. & tues. and i love it when i have two loads of laundry done, my bathroom cleaned, lunch fed & cleaned, made sure we all sat to play for awhile and all are down together by one o'clock...i get a small rush off accomplished routine...but make a priority to stop the routine if a "moment" needs to be embraced! I can't decide on the label I should go with...similar to the pessimest/optimist question. i personally refer to myself as a "struggling optimist." i think it fits quite nice (:

Maggie said...

I think I may be in the same boat. Because there is something great about a clean floor that makes it way easier to enjoy the other parts of the day. And I don't think its a disorder to be organized-does that make me have the same one as you?