Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hannah-Banana

I had the privilege of spending last weekend at home with my little sister, Hannah. It was very special that as I was filling my tank at the Costco gas station on the way out of town, I received a text from Hannah saying simply, 'I need you right now :('. I was so excited to be able to text back, 'On my way out of town now. I'll see you in about 6 hours.' I don't believe at that moment she had any idea that I was coming... it had been a very last minute decision for Katie and I to haul over there early Friday afternoon.

Thank you Kristen for your support in being able to take my boys for the afternoon... you were quite the sight with a slew of 5 boys under the age of 5 and a very pregnant figure! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hannah was 6 days into recovering from her head on collision. The collision happened on a two lane road - the speed limit is 50mph and Hannah believes she was traveling anywhere from 40-45mph while the other car was likely going 50mph. Hannah remembers the moment she looked up and there was a car directly in front of her, she remembered nothing of the accident for the first day or so following the event. She then began to have flashbacks... the impact, the smell, her own screaming.

When I arrived on Friday, I hugged her so tightly and cried. How do I describe how Hannah fits into my life? Hmmmm... she is indispensable. Nothing and no one could ever be what she is to me. She is refreshing to be around, easy to love and incredible to watch as she just lives her life with the gifts that God has given her. She's my sister. My only sister. We have a bond that, although separated by 14 years of age, allows us to look to each other for support, share clothes, poke fun at, tell secrets to, and talk about our parents with... (sorry Mom and Dad). I adore her... and not only do I love her, I truly like her and look up to her in so many ways.

She is doing well following the accident. I've had many people ask about her and her well-being. Her nose was broken from 'meeting' the airbag, if you will. BUT it broke straight so it did not need to be straightened out by the doctors. Her knee was, for lack of better words, 'filleted open' down to the bone and it took 100 stitches to sew her up - Mom's doing an excellent job of keeping it cleaned and bandaged. The bruising and soreness from the seat belt and air bag is lessening day by day as I'm sure the stiffness is. The only concern was this last Saturday while I was there... Hannah began passing a noticeable amount of blood in her urine along with sharp abdominal pains. This was likely due to the internal bleeding she suffered from having her spleen damaged in the crash. The prescription was rest and more rest with symptoms to look out for... none of which manifested themselves the next day! Praise the Lord!

Thank you for all your prayers and support during this time. I was able to be with her and love on her for a couple of days which was much needed -- Katie and I made it back over the pass as the winter storm was in full swing on Snoqualmie. Fortunately, as I approached the pass, the restrictions were updated from "chains required" to "traction tires advised"... and as I approached the latter summit they were updated again from "traction tires advised" back to "chains required". Just in the nick of time! I had chains with me and had practiced putting them on - but oh was I thankful!

I praise God for Hannah's survival, and as a good friend reminded me early on, 'don't get caught up on the what ifs' and so I'm praying for the clarity of mind to stay in the here and now. It has been an incredible feat that God has taken my family through - one we will forever be grateful for as we watch Hannah grow in her walk with the Lord and into her later years.

I love you, Banana. (photo: top Row, 3rd from the left with white shirt)

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm so glad to hear that Hannah is doing well and recovering. So glad to hear you were able to spend some time with her. That is what life is all about-relationships.

Kristen said...

You are more than welcome. I think I want 5 boys now. As long as I can keep the housecleaner, and add a cook and maybe a nanny. :) Glad your sister is doing well and you were able to be there for her.