Friday, June 19, 2009

The drive home to Seattle.

As I loaded my van today a gentleman and his wife were passing by on their, what looked to be normal, morning walk.

"Are you leaving the country?" he asked as he paused and held his hands out as though he couldn't understand why this little girl, in a black dress, with high heel flip flops on was carrying an armload of luggage while her minivan sat open to the elements - pod on top was propped open, bike rack held two vintage Schwinns, the side doors were back allowing for easy access to the van's AWESOMENESS of child seats and open space.

I chuckled and mentioned that I lived in Seattle... that I had been here for 10 days and was making the trip back over the mountains with more loot than I arrived with. He chuckled, turned his back to me, trotted up the street, hopped on the sidewalk and resumed his walk with his wife.

The drive home was rather uneventful aside from the unending anxiety that it would soon become eventful. I rehearsed in my head the scene of a bike flying off the bike rack only to kill an entire family traveling innocently behind me. I watched the bikes in my rear view mirror as though I was using my own will to keep them in place.

It worked. We have arrived home safe and sound and are ready to jump back into the routine of our daily life...

Oh, never mind. Its summer.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I love that one. Good for you for getting those bikes to stay on the whole way. However, you didn't mention any screaming or crying and if there wasn't any could you tell me how you did that for my trip to your house?

kschei said...

Uhhhh... those who know me know this is a hard thing for me to voice.

Kyle bought a portable DVD player.

There. Its out. And yeah, very little screaming and shouting.

kschei said...

Oh yeah... and TAKE A PORTABLE POTTY SEAT WITH YOU! I cannot TELL you how awesome that is. 'Mom, I have to go potty!' 'Ok, honey. I'll pull off on the next ramp and unbuckle you...' And no, I've never used it... except when playing Truth or Dare which is a part of our usual routine at potty stops.