Tuesday, June 23, 2009

To discipline or not to discipline, that is the question.

Discipline is (v) to correct; to teach what is right; (n) training that corrects, molds or perfects moral character.

I understand that discipline takes on all forms. Kyle and I have felt quite clearly that the 'rod' has literally meant the physical discipline in the form of a spoon on the bum or a bare hand on the bare rump. Not only have I interpreted scripture to command this type of discipline when a heart change is in order, I also have noticed that this is what is takes to "correct, mold, and perfect moral character" in my children. If I see the definition of discipline above (which I don't think any of us would refute), I realize that its between the parent and God to find the correct means of action to harvest a heart that is honoring to the Lord... and for Kyle and I (and our kids, God bless them) it has literally meant a physical form of discipline when any disobedience is at hand.

The handful of issues that have resulted in 4 disciplines, aka spoons on the rump: Katie chose to 'frolic' in the living room half-dressed after I had informed her to get her pjs on; Katie picked Ben up whilst looking me square in the face after telling her not to; Katie sitting on the stairs because she wanted Mom to put her to bed - not Dad; William deciding to take the ball from his younger brother after I informed him not to touch it... and on and on.

(the next takes place in a private room)

Mom: "William, you are going to receive 3 disciplines on your bum. Why are you going to receive discipline?"
Will: "Because I was disobedient..."
Mom: "What did you do that was disobedient?"
Will: "I touched the ball that Ben was holding."
Mom: "Did I ask you not to touch the ball?"
Will: "Yes."
Mom: "Did you touch it anyway?"
Will: "Yes."
Mom: "Was that disobedient?"
Will: "Yes" (crying)
Mom: "Will, God says that it is 'wise to receive your discipline' (Proverbs 13:1) so please come over here and get your disciplines."

(after the disciplines have been given)

Mom: "William, I love you so much." (rocking him and cuddling with him) I give you discipline because God has told you that you need to obey your Mom and Dad (Exodus 20:12) and if you do not you need to receive discipline. If you are not obedient to the Lord than you are unsafe. God has put me in charge of keeping you safe!"
Will: "Oh..." (usually with a heavy lower lip)
Mom: "I need you to say you're sorry and ask for forgiveness."
Will: "I'm sorry Mom for [whatever]... will you please forgive me?"
Mom: "Yes, William, I forgive you."

What a rewarding time!

... I'm writing this post than for no other reason than to vent and express that the question so often for me is, 'to discipline or not to discipline?' I find that though the exhaustion is overwhelming, God always gives me grace to overcome the battles. Because in the end, when He calls me to obedience, unless I'm obedient, His will is not accomplished.

Amen. To all Moms out there, keep on keeping on.

2 comments:

Holly said...

i have had that conversation with Gavin soooo many times.

The Land of the Lamberts said...

Good job Schei's! It's brave of you to even share this is your form of discipline-many people would stand apposed to this form of discipline. But, it seems you guys are handling it with grace, love, patience and tenderness. With those characteristics in place as well as the physical discipline your children are for sure going to grow up wise and with a firm foundation in the Lord. I'm loving reading your blogs...makes me wish we lived closer so we could share our raising of the family together. Motherhood is full of many surprises, delights and challenges and I'm sure you are an encouraging, wise and fun friend. I'm glad you found each other via FB!