Sunday, June 07, 2009

"[Schei] Church" was powerful today.

Luke 15:11-32

"'My son', the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we have to celebrate and be glad, because...'"

God expects that when we've matured in Him, we will begin to respond to life in such a way that our relationship with Him is of utmost value to us. He believes that maybe this time we'll look beyond our worldly desires and instead relish in the grace that He's handed to us oh-so-freely... and daily.

He desires relationship with you and me.

****

Kyle, myself, the kids and Kyle's parents began the story of the Prodigal Son this morning weighing in on the relationship between the Father and his lost son. We found so many parallels between that relationship and the relationship between our Heavenly Father and us; between that relationship and the relationships between us and our children; between that relationship and the relationships between us and other believers. The kids were taught the biblical principle of unconditional love and the confidence they can have that there will be no condemnation at home or in their relationship with God following their repentance.

The adults talked in-depth about:

Luke 15:12 "'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them." Did the son feel so entitled? What was the cultural 'norm' during that time as to what belonged to who? Was this wise parenting to give the son half of the estate? Was there such faith in his son that the money would be put to good use? Was there faith in God that the money would be 'used' wisely?

Luke 15:17-20a "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father." Had he learned his lesson yet? Or was his motivation to return back to his father's house purely selfish? Was that understandable that it was selfish since it was a life and death situation? Maybe he had learned his lesson since he did not expect to go back and be accepted into the fold again but instead as a hired hand to his father.

Luke 15:20b-21 "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'"
Did this moment, in the embrace of his father, reap humility from the seeds of humility that had been sewn in his heart during his most dire moments only days before as he ate with the pigs? What must it have felt like for the sin to be forgiven so quickly?

Luke 15:22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate." His father gave no heed to what his son spoke to but instead called his servants to come and dress his son like a king and throw him a party! Was this wise parenting? Should there have been different consequences to the son's rebellious departure upon his return home? How is God asking us to parent our children in this passage? How is God unlike myself in this passage? Do we own too much of our child's 'heart change' by demanding consequences that aren't prayerfully considered? After Katie (my 4.5 year old) has disrespected me, owned it, asked for forgiveness and righted her heart, should I continue behaving in response to her sin? Or do I have faith that God has righted her heart and the punishment of being out of relationship with me - and with God - was enough for her? I don't know! The parable doesn't continue! What AWESOME insights we gained from scripture today... I love this stuff!

Ok, continuing on...

Luke 15:25-28a "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'
The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never game me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property on prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'
'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.'"
***THIS WAS THE LESSON OF THE DAY FOR ME***
The father in this story represents our Heavenly Father. I pictured something so simple as God looking at me with such sadness and reminding me that I have had a relationship with Him day in and day out... that everything He has is mine... that I HAVE been obedient and He is pleased with me. I imagine His disappointment that our relationship wasn't so important to me that I looked away from what others were receiving and instead found joy in the fact that I've communed with my Father and built relationship with Him. But instead I found fault in how He chose to love those who were out of relationship with Him and have returned.

After today, I have found new joy in my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I remember specifically, years ago, a girlfriend of mine being so impacted by our pastor's heart for the lost. Steve Mason looked at her one day with tears in his eyes as he spoke of those she prayed for who didn't know the Lord. His heart broke for the lost because he cared more about the relationship with Christ, and what purity that brought to a life, than any worldly satisfaction Satan had to offer. That conversation has always had an impact on me.

As I stand today so excited about where God has brought Kyle and I, am I remembering the salvation that God has offered me by NO ACT OF MY OWN than to simply accept it? Am I remembering that my relationship with Him means more to me than any gift, pat on the back, worldly acclaim, physical health, ...? Will I rejoice with Him because I understand that I deserve nothing and those returning to Him are no less deserving of a relationship with Him than I? Will I dance and rejoice that there is yet another person to bring glory to the only true God?

Because He alone deserves it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great! If only I could understand our Father's heart and see others the way He does - Wow!

Rachel

kschei said...

You and me both, my friend.