Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day to Remember a Life

Saturday, Januray 24th, 2009 will be etched in my memory just as all previous memories of the Lusk family have...

I opened the van's sliding door and gathered Ben together as I grimaced against the cold wind pelting the side of my face. Hat secured under his chin - check, jacket zipped - check, legs covered - check. He and I braved the elements as we made our way to the front entrance of La Grand High School. I entered and stomped my feet on the large door mat just inside as the euphoric smell of 'highschool hallway' took over my senses. Directly in front of me was Kathy Lusk - strikingly beautiful, dabbing at her tear-streaked face with a handkerchief and welcoming everyone individually into the auditorium. Next to her was a podium where we signed the guest book and picked up the service program - it read "Chad Dalton Lusk" with a timeless picture of him in the mountains with his dog. I quickly walked over to Kathy, kissed her cheek and embraced her. Just her voice was an oh-so-familiar and welcome sound... I knew this would be a moment I would remember for the rest of my life.

Matt met me half-way down the aisle as I searched for a seat... we exchanged kisses on the cheek and I introduced him to Ben. Amy was not far behind him and in a voice that still holds so much warmth and visceral memories for me she spoke and embraced me. We talked for a little while and I found my seat. For the next several minutes I watched as the family spoke to old friends and those they have built community with there in La Grand. It was all so surreal and full of emotion... yet numbing at the same time. There were no large pictures at the front of the auditorium, no classical music playing as people filtered in, there were no black veils and very few somber moods but instead praise and worship songs played quietly over the speaker system, Matt and Amy laughed with and embraced dear friends, most everyone smiled and enjoyed those next to them as they informed each other of their 'connection to Chad'. If I hadn't known, it would be hard to distinguish this crowd from that of a wedding ceremony. We were all there to honor the Lord God Almighty and celebrate a life short of nothing. He knew Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour, he met life head on and gave so much of himself as he lived it, and in the end, when 'tragedy' was upon he and his family, he knew that all this was was 'another adventure' - he would soon be sitting at the feet of Jesus and conversing with Him. For Chad, there was no greater adventure than that. And with his family, we would spend the next 2 hours sharing in his life together and laughing until it hurt.

Blessings to you, Kathy, Amy, Clayton, Reed and Regan... Matt, Jennifer (and the kids!) It was a blessing spending an entire day with you and your extended family. Thank you for welcoming each of us into the place that you call home... to talk about and remember the man that made that home so much of what it is.

Chad's 'Man Room' pictured at the right.

No comments: