Monday, January 12, 2009

What once was luxurious.

What once was luxurious is now the embodiment of efficiency. Everything has a purpose - dining out with the kids, although more costly than staying home, is becoming the means by which Kyle and I teach our children etiquette; sex, although a luxurious act in and of itself, is rearing its head in the craziest times and places just for the mere sanity it brings to our marriage - we'll take 10 minutes when we can get it; talking has lost its luster as I'm not much of a "chatter" by nature but everything that comes out of my mouth costs me energy and since my children demand quite a lot whether it be in the car... while I'm on the potty... while I'm trying to write an email... while we're just 'being'... I try to make each word purposeful; a glass of wine is to unwind - 3.99/bottle does the job; a sit-down meal means cutting my food into bite-size pieces so that I may dine one handed as I pass the table in the course of holding a baby, refilling juice cups, and wiping hands...

I love my life and I love where God has me, don't get me wrong... but I've realized that every minute of my day whether it be relaxation or on-the-go is intentional. Yes, even the 'unintentional time' is intentional... jumping in the snow, taking a wagon ride, making a fort, watching Ratatouille again and wearing my pajamas until after Noon.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That was very poignant. It is amazing how at least I, before kids just kind of went about life, letting things happen, mostly planning for fun. And now you are totally right on, everything has a purpose - even the watching tv for a few minutes has the purpose of me not loosing my mind, and regaining my patience. But mostly I want my kids so badly to get everything they can out of life, and while I am in charge of their activities I want those to be things of education, exercise, sociability, FUN! Good post. I enjoyed it!

Geoff/Amy said...

Ok so its not just me who feels like this...good to hear :)